Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Versailles and Vodka

So, today we ventured out of central Paris to Versailles, on the RER because what other way is there to travel?! 

It was a little rainy but this didn't stop us wandering round the majority of Versailles posing and taking very edgy photos. It was quite nice to be in a French town that wasn't Paris, as much as I love the big city, it was nice to explore somewhere different for the day. 

The RER journey back to Paris wasn't the dream end to the lovely day. First we had to queue for about 20 minutes for the ticket machines. For the record, it's not a stereotype, the British love a good queue and other nationalities are just not as respecting of the queuing culture, this led to quite a tutting fest on our part. 

We then got on the most crowded RER back to Paris, the world and his sweaty wife were aboard. So we got off a few stops early, as we foolishly thought the metro would be less crowded. We ate our words, and the words of everyone squished up against us for the whole journey. We experienced 'eau de le metro' up close and personal, in some cultures I would be compelled to marry the people as I'd been in that close contact with them!

Fun Paris fact of the day; pressing the button for blind people at Zebra crossings causes a very French woman's voice to boom out of the lamp post, this causes a scene. Thanks Olivia. 


Anyway, once we finally made it back to the hostel covered in the rest of Paris' sweat, we had time to eat and shower before heading out for drinks with Lorna in Montparnasse. The original plan was to go to an Irish bar, I know I'm just such an embracer of the French culture. However, we walked in and there was a crazy music quiz going on and so we left to find another bar, and there's not a shortage of them anywhere in Paris. 
This evening I let go of my Yorkshire roots and threw myself at Parisian culture* in that this evening, I bought a cocktail, it cost me 10 of the European Unions finest euros...I know, it scares me that I was okay with this. It came with a glow stick and some olives though, I'm so easily pleased. 

*metaphorically, not literally threw myself at a waiter, that's not acceptable.

Such a good two days, roll on next 'weekend'. 

Flowers and a clock


Memorial

Yep, sorry about this.

And this...

Add caption

Such love.

Pigeons and legs

Love a good clock



Today was a black and white day

Edgy.

Fun fact; Taj Mahal is the most common Indian restaurant name in England.

So French

How's that for a town hall...

Paris Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment