Monday, October 14, 2013

Home.

Now I decided to dedicate this blog to homesickness, not because I feel terribly homesick at this moment but because it is an inevitable part of being away from home and I feel in this month I've realised that homesickness is a lot more than just simply missing home.

For starters, home is less of a place and more of a concept for me. It's very easy for me to feel at home somewhere, even if that place isn't necessarily my home. So in this respect homesickness is less missing a specific place and more missing the feelings you have in that place that you feel unable to replicate where you are at that current moment in time. 

It's the feeling of doing something you really love and wishing the people you miss were there to share it with you. It can come in the form of everyday things not feeling normal or missing the routine you spend your life ruled by. It's those small things that you didn't realise were important; baths, gravy and real duvets. 

The feelings are never permanent because of human nature's natural ability to adapt and change to the environment we find ourselves in. Providing you are willing to embrace the differences in where you are, in my experience, it's possible to combat every instance of homesickness.

I've realised that experiencing homesickness doesn't mean you're not happy or enjoying where you are. It's a reminder that you're on an adventure and being out of your comfort zone, away from home is all a part of that adventure. It's about experiencing this feeling and combating it by putting everything into perspective. 

In my view, it simply serves as a reminder of the importance of your roots and the people who you miss, those who make your home, wherever you find yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment