Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Lots of steps, lots of shops and a double decker train...

Today started at 11:30 unintentionally as I slept through my alarm. And through the night all the photos I had spent painstakingly sticking up, had fallen onto my head. After actually waking myself properly up I left the hostel with a destination of the Arc de Triomphe. 

During my walk to the metro station I learnt a new French phrase which only highlighted my love for this weird and wonderful place and it's language. I passed a shop selling 'pomme de douche' (literally apple of the shower) aka shower head. How bizarre yet wonderful all in one. 

My super handy iphone app (seriously its a life saver) took me via 2 metro lines and onto my first RER experience. Little did I know, the RER has double decker trains, this was VERY exciting but I had to be inwardly excited because there was a lot of Parisians present for whom the double decker train experience was a daily rigmarole. So I made it to the Arc de Triomphe which for those of you who don't know is located in the middle of la étoile which is essentially a massive roundabout/ deathtrap for pedestrians. Thankfully the lovely Parisian people built a subway which leads straight to the middle. 

In my infinite wisdom I forgot my passport which meant I had no proof I was an EU citizen aged between 18-25 so couldn't get free entry, however my attempts to explain this to the lady at the booking office landed me with a student price of 6 euros. Could have been worse. I read the signs that told me there were 284 steps, this didn't prepare me for the 284 spiralled steps up to the viewing platform. But once there, as dizzy and sweaty as I was the views were amazing and well worth the climb/ 6 measly euros. 

Next I decided to explore what I have now concluded is my favourite street on earth; Champs Élysées. It is like heaven. The Mcdonalds sells macaroons and the H and M is 10 times the size of my house. I resisted spending every euro I own and just bought a jumper. I justified this because Paris is pretty chilly and I like jumpers. 

After resisting the urge to take a major long way home just for the opportunity of another double decker RER experience I made it back to the hostel. 

Curtain update: still no curtains. 
Arc de Triomphe

Memorial


The eternal flame which marks the tomb of the Unknown soldier honouring 1.3 million french soldiers who lost their lives in WW1

A LOT of stairs.

View of the Champs Élysées from the top 

Macaroons in Mcdonalds.

Champs Élysées

Standard sign shot.

My 2 euro can of coke. Ain't no way I was sharing that with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment