Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Vive l'Angleterre

This week at work has been quiet to say the least and the influx of 'strange' guests has been on the up. 

I've spent some quite interesting days, washing and sleeping. But I've also been for some walks, one particular walk involved me unintentionally passing a KFC, a pizza hut and 5 McDonalds. Embrace it. 

Okay, so I'm beginning to get a bit of a protest related complex, in my previous blog I mentioned the protests on the Champs-élysées on Armistice Day. On one of my walks, I was jauntily wandering along when I heard the faint cry of what initially sounded like 'Do you hear the people sing' and I thought I was about to witness a live reenactment of the musical spectacular Les Miserables, before this dream was shattered by the appearance of police bearing riot shields and a protest of around 200 people passed me, then the world carried on as normal. This evening whilst on the Champs-Elysées again, the Algerian population of Paris took to the streets in their cars to celebrate their victory in the football match. Their form of celebration involved hanging flags out of their cars/motocycle/other motorised vehicle and incessantly honking their car horns. This gave the Christmas markets a wonderful festive feel, I really think it added to that Christmas spirit that we all know and love. Didn't spoil my churros though, I enjoyed them with gusto. 

This blog isn't very chronological but what's life without a bit of spontaneity.
Yesterday evening, we headed to the restaurant in the Jewish quartier, the very same one we went to last week, and enjoyed fantastic food and a wonderful cucumber allergy related anecdote from the waiter, can't complain. 

Today we visited Parc de Buttes Chaumont which turned out to be one of the most beautiful places in Paris. The walk around the lake and through the caves was so pretty, even on a freezing cold day. We then walked along the Canal as it was such a nice day. 

In other news, before coming to Paris, I believed I was quite an English looking/ sounding person. I've now begun to think otherwise. So a couple of weeks ago 2 girls came to the hostel proclaiming 'We spoke to a Chinese girl on the phone a couple of hours ago'. The aforementioned girl was me. Yesterday a man came over to me and said 'My mother had assumed you were Polish'. 
I'm contemplating going to work tomorrow wrapped in a Union Jack flag, eating fish and chips and singing God save the Queen. 

Vive l'Angleterre. 

Pudding ahoy

Mignon and what?




Sorry.







IT'S CHRRRRIISTTTMASSSS.




No comments:

Post a Comment