Sunday, December 8, 2013

My Parisian bucket list...

I've realised I'm more or less on the home straight, so to speak, now I have 19 days left in Paris and want to use them to their full potential to ensure I leave with a list of things I have done, rather than a list of regrets of things I haven't! So here's a short list I have compiled of things I want to do before I leave:

Number 1; Go up the Eiffel Tower.
Yes I've been here 3 months, and no I haven't yet actually gone up the tower. I am however, going up on Tuesday and I hope it doesn't disappoint, as avid blog readers will know, I am a big fan of Tour Montparnasse and I'd hate for the actual Tour to not live up to all of my expectations. 


Number 2; Go on a Parisian night out, actually remember it and return home with both shoes.
As much as I love a good night out with a beverage or two, I seem to be unable to remember much of them, hence this insert on the bucket list, but I'm not making any promises, wines pretty cheap.

Number 3; eat a snail, or frogs legs or something else stereotypically French.
I have been a massive fan of eating out but so far have managed to steer away from the frog-legged snail eating establishments, but I don't think I'd ever forgive myself if I spent half of my year abroad in France and didn't experience at least one of these highly priced 'delicacies'

Number 4; Watch the sunset from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.
I've wanted to do this ever since I first went up the Arc. It's easier now the sun sets at a more reasonable hour. Sorry about the photos that will probably be posted everywhere along with my comments about how beautiful the world is.

Number 5; Go to Bois de Boulogne.
This is another place I've wanted to visit for ages but have never really got round to. It's basically a forest on the other side of Paris, but I very much miss the countryside and thought it might make me feel almost home to be surrounded by trees.

Number 6; Visit the Pixar exhibition.
I got ridiculously excited when I saw that this new exhibition had opened. I'm not usually a fan of art, but when it's Toy Story, Finding Nemo and Ratatouille I'm prepared to queue down the rue.

Number 7; Visit the 'Regards sur les ghettos' exhibition at the Shoah Memorial.
After hearing about this I've wanted to go and see it for ages. I am a huge fan of photo exhibitions and this one is of photos taken inside of the ghettos in which the Jewish community found themselves in Nazi dominated areas, something which you may have gathered from previous blogs really interests me, I think it's important that exhibitions like this exist for people to not just remember what happened but I find photos make something like that seem so much more real and allows us to relate more. http://regards-ghettos.memorialdelashoah.org/teaser.html

Number 8; Learn to like coffee.
This might not be achievable in 19 days but I really want to like coffee. I don't think I've disliked something but wanted to like it more, drinking a cup of coffee has such a sophisticated edge to it. The standard work conversation usually goes 'Tu veut un café?' 'bohhff...chocolat chaud s'il tu plait'. 
I'm not in the coffee drinking club, but it looks like a fun place to be from where I'm sat, on the outside, looking in with my hot chocolate. 

Number 9; Buy some tacky Parisian shit.
The shops are everywhere, and I think all my wonderful family and friends deserve some tack to clutter up their lives with. No, no, I insist and you're very welcome.

Number 10; Go back to Franglish!
I blogged about Franglish in like my second week here, and I'm yet to go back, not for not wanting but because I work evenings and then fill up my evenings off with wine etc. But I really want to go back before I leave not only is it really good for my French, you get a free drink, which is hard to come by in Paris!

Number 11; Purchase a Christmas tree.
Our room looks very unfestive. This needs to change. 

Number 12; Go swimming. 
I bought a swimming costume in my 2nd week here as I live pretty near a nice pool. It's still got the tag on, need to give it at least one outing before I leave!

Number 13; Visit the Shakespeare bookstore.
I love bookshops, this ones named after the most famous writer in British history, I kind of owe it to him to pay it a visit.

Number 14; Introduce the French to mince pies.
They're missing out and they don't even realise. I'm here to help.

Number 15; Eat a macaroon.
I love macaroons and they're everywhere, why have I not eaten one yet?!

That about completes my bucket list but if you want to submit any wild suggestions for my remaining time here go for it, I'm all ears*.


*I hate that phrase, sorry. I'm not, at most I'm 7% ears.

Happy Sunday!

Here's a bucket to illustrate.





No comments:

Post a Comment