Friday, December 6, 2013

Counting down to Christmas...

I love Christmas. I think being away has made me realise that Christmas to me is not just a day, it's a warm feeling, a time to spend with family and friends and eat copious amounts of food without feeling guilty.

It's the build up to Christmas, the first time you feel Christmassy and have to tell everyone 'I feel festive, do you feel festive?, isn't everything so Christmassy?' the moment when you find the perfect gift for someone and the look on their face when they rip open the paper, the first time you hear your favourite Christmas song that you'd forgotten about for the rest of the year.  For me it's the silly traditions we have in our family that even though we grow a year older each year, will still stay the same. The misheard lyrics 'keep drinking beer Mary' and 'Stop the camel', the 'remember the Christmas when' stories and sharing these stories with others, knowing that no family's Christmas is the same but they're all so special. 

Of course the food. Eating until your trousers no longer fit, then having to take an afternoon nap to be able to fit in more. How the first bite of a mince pie brings memories flooding back from previous years yet you still aren't sure whether you 100% like them, and the smell of turkey, stuffing and mulled wine is one only associated with Christmas. 

Although I'm sad I won't be at home this Christmas day, and things will be a little different to what they have been for the past 19 years, I know that it will still be special, because there's just something about the day that makes it special. Who could not embrace being in Paris on Christmas day?

As I open each door on my advent calendar, I do feel a little bit closer to Christmas and to coming home, and this is a reminder to enjoy every minute I've got left here. I shall endevor to embrace a French Christmas as well as keeping some of my home comforts that the day just wouldn't be right without, with the help of M&S. Although I'm not sure the carol service at Notre Dame will compete with Netherton Carol Service!


I like to think that Christmas brings with it a feeling and wherever you are, you will still get the feeling.

Hope you're all enjoying the Festive season wherever you are!
Always makes me smile...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tRxjPj5bo

No comments:

Post a Comment